Taking care of your kayak is essential for ensuring its durability and longevity. One of the most effective tools for maintaining your vessel is a kayak wax. This guide will explain how to clean and protect your kayak hull and wax it for added protection.
Prerequisites to Get Started
Before you start, you will need the following:
- UV Protectant
- Marine Wax for composite kayaks
- Mild soap or boat wash
- Water from hose
- Microfiber cloths (x2)
See here that how you can spear a fish?
Cleaning and Waxing Your Kayak
Follow these steps to clean and wax your kayak:
Step 1: Rinse Your Kayak
- Rinse off any dirt or particles from your kayak and clean it thoroughly.
Step 2: Grab a Bucket
- Fill a bucket with clean water and add soap or boat wash. Follow the instructions on the bottle if using boat wash.
Step 3: Wash the Kayak
- Wash your kayak with soap or boat wash using a sponge. Wash it from both sides. Go over any strong stains several times until they are completely gone.
Step 4: Rinse with Clean Water
- Rinse your kayak with clean water, making sure there is no soap left on the surface.
Step 5: Let It Dry Completely
- Let your kayak air dry or dry it with a towel until it is completely dry.
Step 6: Apply the Wax
- Once your kayak is completely dry, apply the wax using microfiber cloths. If you have a wax spray, spray it on the hull and gently rub it on with a slightly damp microfiber cloth.
Step 7: Let the Wax Dry
- Let the wax dry completely.
Step 8: Polish It Off
- Once the wax is completely dry, use a clean cloth to polish your hull until you see a shiny, brighter surface.
Step 9: Apply UV Protector Spray
- Spray a UV protector on your kayak for an extra layer of protection. Buff it with a clean, dry cloth. If it’s not dry, use a wet cloth to clean it. Once it’s dry, you can take it to the water.
Waxing Your Inflatable and Polyethylene Kayak
- Generally, kayak wax is not applied or used on inflatable and polyethylene kayaks. The wax is recommended for composite kayaks, but you may apply it on plastic vessels for additional safety.
Why Waxing Your Kayak is Important
Waxing your kayak adds an extra layer of protection on the vessel, increases its durability, and keeps it in great shape. It’s especially important if you paddle in saltwater.
Benefits of waxing your kayak include:
- Enhancing the durability of the vessel
- Protecting the vessel from harmful UV rays
- Protecting from dents and scratches
Cleaning Your Kayak
- It’s crucial to clean your kayak after every paddling session to maintain its lifespan. Rinse it off after every use.
- Rinsing off your kayak after every use will prevent mildew building up on the hull. Make sure it is completely dry before storing it.
- You may give it a thorough cleaning using either boat wash or mild soap.
- Best Tandem Kayaks
- Best Folding Kayaks
- Best Sit-on-top Kayaks
- Best Fishing Kayaks
- Best Ocean Fishing Kayaks
By following this guide, you can add an extra layer of protection to your kayak and increase its lifespan. Don’t forget to share this guide with your fellow paddlers.